The Splashtop Personal App and Splashtop Streamer for Windows and Mac have multiple configurations that can improve a remote session's performance in regards to frame rate (FPS) and CPU loading.
Make sure the Splashtop Personal App and Splashtop Streamer are using v22.214.171.124 or newer to utilize these settings.
Click any of the below options to see what configurations can be set per platform.
1. Video Rendering Options - Different rendering API and data formats
- Direct3D with YUV (default): Achieves the best performance with less CPU loading. When used with the Windows Streamer "Hardware" Captor, it can also increase the session FPS.
- Direct3D with RGB: Uses RGB data format instead, but has more CPU loading than YUV.
- SDL with YUV: Can be used if DirectX/Direct3D is not enabled or working properly on the local machine.
- Software: Can be used if encountering any issues with other rendering options. Uses more CPU but may be most compatible across multiple platforms.
- Please go to the Personal app -> File -> Options -> Advanced.
2. Hardware Acceleration - Decoding
The Splashtop Personal app will use the supported hardware installed on your local computer to decode the streaming data.
- This can help get better performance in a remote session (up to 60 FPS when 1080P resolution and 30 FPS when 4k resolution) and also lower the local computer's CPU loading (up to 100% saved).
- To enable, please go to the Personal app -> File -> Options -> Advanced.
1. Screen Capturing Options
- Hardware: For Windows 8 and newer, and achieves the best session performance and FPS.
- Software: Can be used if encountering any issues with the Hardware captor.
- Nvidia: Visible for computers with a Nvidia graphics card, helps improve performance and FPS.
- Mirror: For Windows 7 and older, helps to improve slow screen refresh and high CPU usage.
- To find the options, please go to Streamer -> Advanced -> Screen capturing options
2. Hardware Acceleration - Encoding
The Splashtop Streamer for Windows will use the supported hardware installed on your remote computer to encode the streaming data, which will improve performance in a remote session (increase FPS up to 50% or more in some cases) and also use lower CPU on the remote computer (up to 30% lower in some cases).
- To enable, please go to Streamer -> Advanced -> Screen capturing options
Hardware Acceleration - Decoding
The Splashtop Business app will use the supported hardware installed on your local computer to decode the streaming data.
- This helps to lower CPU loading on the local computer. The higher resolution used, the more CPU usage saved.
- To enable, go to the top menu bar and click Splashtop Business -> Preferences -> Advanced.
Screen Capturing Options
- Default: Reduces CPU loading and resolves display issues such as flickering and blank windows.
- Alternative: Can be used as a backup if encountering issues with the default captor.
- Please go to Streamer -> Advanced -> Screen capturing options
It's important to note that performance in a remote session is also influenced by other settings and factors in an environment such as network status, network bandwidth, etc.